Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Google what?

Dear all,
I was very happy to find out that teachers all over the world have been trying the same things and sharing the same agonies as me.
I am (or used to be) a Google fan as most of you. During the past few days since I received the e-mail from Robert about the other search engines that exist, I have been really busy searching (like a female Sherlock Holmes) about everything. I even started to wonder how come I hadn't thought that there should be other search engines (apart from Google) earlier.
I am a teacher trainer for the Greek Ministry of Education and Lifelong learning. After the reading and searching that I did this past week I realised that I can share the knowledge and info acquired with the English teachers of primary education and talk to them about Noodletools.com and ask them to search at kidsclick.org (for facts, arts, mythology, Extra Sensory Perception) or Ask kids  and Yahoo kids (for  films, cartoons, creating DVDs). In this way I'll save them time and help them make their lesson motivating and funny. I have started preparing a new seminar and it will take place in the computer lab!!!
I've also found the part of Country Studies in the Noodletools.com very useful for my students at the Technical Vocational School. Earlier this year we had some problems with racism as some students are immigrants from other countries (Albania, Bulgaria and Russia). Some of them have not been incorporated in the school community smoothly. I thought that if I took the whole class to the computer lab and help them find info about each of the above country and make projects about its history, culture, geography etc it would give the Greek students another perspective, eliminating the fear of the unknown. I’ll let you know!!!

Angela


3 comments:

  1. Hi Angela ,
    I am a google fan like you and I can't substitute it with any other search engine when I look for information . However I use documentary search engines when I look for documents . I have made a compilation of the best 10 document search engines I was able to find on the web on my page :
    http://allsharing.wordpress.com/2010/12/15/10-best-online-document-search-engines/
    I hope you'd find them useful
    Best , Mbarek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angela,
    Your blog is great, full with information and enthusiasm. I like your idea about using the project to help students
    know each other better. You may want to assign some of the new students as "experts" of his/her own country. In this way, your students will naturally work together. Tell me what you think.
    Best,
    Khoi

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Angela i always like your posts they are so elaborate and easy to read.and your idea is really good about reducing the fear of your students about the unknown because it is one of the basic reason behind trust deficit between nations and people.

    ReplyDelete